If you’ve been laid off, want to switch careers, or are running into dead ends finding a better job, consider the following six steps. Successful job searches involve these key strategies.
1. Develop a positive attitude. That may seem difficult to do right now, but realize that people are getting hired every day. People with positive attitudes have distinct advantages over those who don’t when it comes to networking and interviewing.
2. Take time to identify your personal strengths. Remember that your job search can be an opportunity to do what you “like” or “want” to do.
3. Assess your current skills. Determine which of your skills can be transferred to a field that is growing. Even if you acquired your skills in a field that is no longer growing, you have transferable skills. Meet with a Career Center Representative at one of our locations to see what resources are available at RochesterWorks to help assess your skills.
4. Research new areas. If there is an occupation, career or job that you’ve always thought you might like, research it. Think about volunteering to spend some time in that environment. Find out if there are training dollars available to help you find employment in the field.
6. Learn to network. Create a personal 45-second commercial about yourself and, most importantly, practice it! Call RochesterWorks! at (585)258-3500 to find out how you can sign up for the next RochesterWorks! Job Network meeting.