- Plan Your Day
Research companies, prepare specific questions for the recruiters, and make sure that you have enough copies of your resume to go around!
- Dress for Success
Present a professional image in both dress, body language and tone of voice.
Avoid “window shopping” and target the 6-10 companies that you most want to meet!
- Be Positive
Job fairs are the 1st step of the “conversation” so take the time to make a positive first impression. In your conversations don’t be afraid to ask for a business card and find out how they prefer to be contacted throughout the hiring process. Getting this information is crucial!
- Follow Up
Prioritize your work following the conference as to who to respond to first. If a recruiter says to check back in a week to see where they are in the hiring process, do it! Thank you notes and follow up are imperative.
- During the Event:
- Ask about the next steps and timeline
- Find out if there is anything you can do to help in the decision making process
- Ask for a business card for follow up and their preferred method of contact (phone or email)
- After the Event
- Apply online if you haven’t already
- Contact the people you met by phone or email based on their preference
- Remember key discussions and follow up accordingly
- Prioritize your new leads and follow upBe respectful of any HR professionals time and do not overdo follow up. A general rule of thumb is to email or call one week after your application has been submitted to confirm that they have received it. One week later you can call or email to follow up if you are unable to connect with them after one week. Beyond two weeks the ball is in their court. Do not jeopardize a potential job opportunity by contacting them more than twice.
- During the Event:
Click Here For more information about RochesterWorks! and the programs available to you, then visit our Career Center! Our services are free and walk-in’s are welcome. You do not need to be unemployed to participate. You just need to be a RochesterWorks! member.