Do . . .
- Dress professionally
- Be prepared at all times for an interview (in person, on the spot, or on the phone)
- Follow-up when you say you will
- Be persistent
- Expect the process to take some time
- Use manners
- Arrive early (10 minutes) for appointments and interviews
- Ask people you know if they know who’s hiring
- Smile ~ look excited about the position and opportunity
Don’t . . .
- Be too casual (in dress or language)
- Talk negatively about people, past employers, the competition or situations
- Expect to find a job in a week or two
- Bring friends/family with you to pick up applications or to an interview
- Use slang
- Have a friend or family member ask the questions for you
- Be irresponsible
- Take Rejection personally
- Get frustrated (especially during the interview)
For more tips and helpful advice go to our Virtual Career Center and stop by a RochesterWorks! Career Center to meet one-on-one with a Career Advisor. You don’t have to go through your job search alone! Call (585) 258-3500 to find out how we can help or go to www.rochesterworks.org.